Within the framework of the MoRoNet network, acting as an interface of the WHO European Laboratory, the National Reference Laboratory is responsible for:
- Ensure the serological and / or molecular confirmation of cases of suspected measles or rubella, as well as the genotyping of strains for regions without an accredited Regional Reference Laboratory.
- Enter laboratory data into the dedicated WHO platform: Measles and Rubella Laboratory Data Management System.
- Insert the nucleotide data and sequences of measles and rubella into their dedicated WHO platforms: MeaNS and RuBeNS.
- Prepare the Guidelines and organize training courses and technical training for at all aspects of laboratory surveillance and the achievement of standards required by the WHO.
- Guarantee that the serological test for the confirmation of cases of measles and rubella performed in all sub-national laboratories are in line with the standards required by the WHO, evaluating the accuracy and consistency of the results through repetition of the assay on samples that have already been examined by subnational laboratories during the previous 12 months (retesting).(retesting).
- Establish, in collaboration with the WHO Regional Laboratories, the Proficiency Test for the evaluation of performance of the serological and molecular diagnosis of each subnational laboratory.
- Communicate, on the basis of the structural and operational evaluation and the result obtained at the Proficiency Test and Retesting, the status of the Laboratory belonging to MoRoNet: admitted to the network, admitted with reserve, not admitted.
Regional Reference Laboratories belonging to MoRoNet
Accredited for the serological diagnosis are responsible for:
- Performing the serological diagnosis of suspected measles and rubella cases.
- Sending monthly to the National Reference Laboratory the data of the analysis carried out, according to the required format.
- Sending annually to the National Reference Laboratory a fair number of samples already tested (for the retesting).
- Performing the serological proficiency tests organized annually by the National Reference Laboratory.
Accredited for the molecular diagnosis are responsible for:
- Performing the molecular diagnosis of cases of suspect measles and rubella.
- Sending samples for genotyping to the National Reference Laboratory.
- Carrying out the yearly molecular proficiency tests organized by the National Reference Laboratory.
Accredited for the molecular diagnosis and genotyping are responsible for:
- Performing the molecular diagnosis of cases of suspect measles and rubella
- Carrying out the yearly molecular proficiency tests organized by the National Reference Laboratory
- Performing the genotyping of positive samples
- Sending to the National Reference Laboratory data and sequences obtained